To test your connection speed:
For best results, close all applications and other devices before running the speed test.
If you are testing your speed upon installation, open your browser and go to https://speedtest.net.
- If you are testing your speed for the 5 Gig plan, do the following:
Download the Ookla Speed Test App to perform an accurate speed test, detailed below.
If you have pop-ups blocked, the speed test may not appear when you click the speed test link. If this occurs, unblock pop-ups temporarily to display the speed test page.
Click the go button to start the test.
The speed test checks your upload and download speeds and displays the results.
- You won't be able to reach maximum Internet speeds of your chosen Fiber plan when connected by Wi-Fi. Learn more about the maximum possible download speeds achieved using 1 Gig service on a variety of wireless and connected devices.
- Connect your laptop to power adapter
- Update the device with the latest version of the operating system.
- Use the latest version of your web browser to run the speed test. Read about supported browsers.
- Turn hyperthreading on (Note: this is not supported on MacBook or Lenovo devices running Chrome web browser).
- Use an Incognito window in Chrome web browser or a private window in other web browsers.
- Have only one tab open in your web browser when running a speed test.
- If possible, run the test on a recent model computer with up-to-date networking hardware.
If you've run an Internet speed test and believe you still aren't receiving fastest speeds, here are ways you can improve your Wi-Fi speeds.